Sunday, April 22, 2007

Let Your Light Shine

 
Matthew 5:14-16 "You are the light of the world.  A city on a hill cannot be hidden.  Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl.  Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.   In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."
 
There was a song we used to sing in Sunday School and Vacation Bible School that must have been written with this passage in mind, "This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine...all around the world I'm gonna let it shine...let it shine, all the time, let it shine!"  Actually that song came into my mind this morning as I was trying to search for a Bible Verse and it led me to remember verse 16, "...let your light shine before men..."  In my small way I feel like these messages each week allow me to let my light shine.  I have dreams of going bigger, maybe learn more about web sites and build myself a good one, maybe someday even use my messages to write a book...dreams, hopes, faith, all are good to have.  Sometimes I think it can be hard as adults to find where we can let our light shine.  Many employers are so politically correct these days that your could possible be written a warning or worse for talking about it at work because it could offend others and therefore falls under a Harassment Policy.  Maybe you feel uncomfortable talking about your faith in a store or at sporting event or any of a hundred other places we may go each week because you do not know if the person you try to reach out to will yell at you to leave them alone.  It can be overwhelming to figure out, "How can I let my light shine for God?"  How about in a non-verbal way?  What if we model our behavior after our Lord's awesome example?  Do you think that may be a good way to shine?  I do...in fact I think that is a great start especially if outright talking to strangers isn't your thing!  If we let our faith shine through our actions we can shine as bright as the Son!  It may not reach every person but I believe that in a world of hurry up and out of my way that even small acts of kindness will catch people's eyes because it can be so rare...it may even get their curiosity peeked enough to confront you for a reason as to why you act that way...and then...tada!  A way to talk about our heavenly Father without initiating the subject.  I pray this week that you remember Jesus called you the light of the world and He will be with you and help you to shine your light for all to see.  This week, I ask that we please keep the people affected by the tragedy at Virginia Tech in our prayers.  Please join me in praying for their comfort, strength and peace.  Please also say a prayer of thanksgiving for the lives that were saved by classmates and professors, that although this massacre was horrific we should praise God that it was not worse, because it truly could have been.  I also ask thatwe please continue to pray for Summer and her family, for healing and praise for the healing that's already taken place.  Also, please keep our soldiers and each other in daily prayers.  I continue to be honored and blessed to be able to come to you each week with these messages and pray that God may bless, protect and inspire you.  Have a blessed and awesome week ahead!!!
 
Love through Christ,
Niki
 
"Today we are all Hokies"
VT ribbon

No comments: