Monday, August 27, 2007

8/25/2007: The Purpose of Life...

Sign at a local office here in Kannapolis, "The purpose of life is a life of purpose."
 
That really hit me because it seemed when I read it the first time I drove past it I assumed I had driven past a church...it's actually an office of some sort I noticed the last time I passed it.  It occurs to me though that it's a good lesson for Christians and has been a movement in some circles.  Truly though when we start to question, as seems to be our nature most often, "what is the purpose of our lives?" or "why are we here?" we need not look further than our Bibles to know that our life's purpose is a life of purpose and that purpose should be to follow God's will for our lives.  I know that is not always an easy thing or even maybe our first gut instinct, it is a conscious choice.  But it should be our choice to want to live a life of purpose for our Lord.  He has done and is doing great and awesome things in our lives!!  On some days it may feel those awesome things are small and few numbered but don't let the devil fool you into believing that!  I heard once if your worries are keeping you up at night instead of counting sheep try counting your blessings.  From personal experience I can tell you that when you lie on your pillow and begin to thank God for all of the blessings in your life you will fall asleep long before you come to the end of that list...because that list is endless!  When I have a bad arthritis night and the pain keeps me up it is most definitely a choice {not necessarily an easy one either!} to focus on praise and thanksgiving to our awesome and mighty Lord but I start small, sometimes it's as simple as thanking Him for air to breath but once you get those first few out, a bed to sleep in, a roof over our head, running water with indoor plumbing, then they start flowing like a 65-foot waterfall and soon you've drifted off into a restful sleep at peace with God, Who is due all the glory and more!  I know on a hard day that hearing someone say there's always something to be thankful for can make you want to roll your eyes like a hormonal teenager and say it's easy for others to say or think that way because they are not going thru what you are going thru but we have all been to the bottom of our barrels, we have all walked our valleys...what keeps us going is the purpose of God's will and the knowledge that He promises us in His precious Word to always be with us and that He has a plan to prosper us.  We have each other too, which is why I feel so strongly that we should always be giving each other the most precious gift we can...prayer.  I pray tonight that God may fill you with a life full of purpose, that He surround you with His peace and that you may find yourself falling asleep while thanking Him for the many blessings in your lives.  One of the top blessings in my life that I continually thank our heavenly Father for is each of you out there reading my weekly thoughts!  I thank God for you and I thank you for your continued interest in receiving these messages.  May you please daily remember our soldiers and their families in your prayers and also young Summer who has come a far way in the Lord but still has a long road of recovery ahead.  Have a blessed weekend and week ahead!
Love in Christ,
Niki

No comments: