Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Son Has Set Us Free

John 8:34-36 "Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin.  Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever.  So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.""
 
Imagine what we do know about slaves and how they were treated and then compare that to how we feel when we are chained down by numerous sins we've not repented for...until I read this verse today (and this is not the first time I've heard or read it) I still didn't fully get it.  Now it's the most clear picture in my head, God has shown me what my sins are physically doing to me!  He is also showing me how He has set me free through repentance and the cross!  Yet God does not stop there, He has not just set us free to go out into the world free but without family and roots, He has adopted us into His family permanently!  It blows my mind wide open to think about the amazing love He has for us and how long I was not fully taking Him at His Word.  I know the lessons I've learned are valuable but I can also see that some of what I've gone through was perhaps unnecessary...however, God has taken it all and worked it for good!  Had I not lived what I've lived I would not be who I am today, I would not desire to serve Him in the ways I am now and hope to someday be...and I think I would definitely not have the same perspective that I have and let me tell you, from my experience in working positions where you have to deal with all different kinds of people on a daily basis, perspective is seriously important!  God wants to shift our perspective to focus on Him, His promises and on the freedom He has already given us.  He has set you free, what will you do with your freedom today?  Will you please join me in prayer?  (If I have removed a name from this list that you would like me to continue praying for please let me know, thanks so much!!!)
 
Dear Father, 
We have been long burdened by the shackles and chains of sin, enslaved to the evil one through our stubborn nature which kept us from repenting to You and asking for and accepting the forgiveness You have made available to us through Your precious cross.  Please help us to see that we are not only hurting ourselves but also You as You watch us ignore the help You have offered.  Please forgive our sins and cleanse our souls accepting us into You loving arms once again.  Lord, we continue to thank You for the blessing of protection You grant us through our soldiers, police, firefighters and paramedics.  Please protect and bless them and their families abundantly.   We also thank You for those who serve You and serve us through Your calling to be our clergy.  We ask that You please bless them to keep us in Your Word and Your Truth many years to come.  Please bless all of our leaders to make the right decisions.  Lord, we believe You are the one true and Triune God and we believe true healing comes only from You, spiritually, emotionally, physically or mentally it is You who heals and we ask that You please grant Your awesome healing to all those in need, but especially to Summer, Sharon, Amber & Michael, Ward, Karen, Kim, Abby, Lynn & Mark, Heidi, Pam, Suzy, Mrs. Beaver, Mary, Meg, Mike, Deanna, unborn baby Lauren and to all those who we may name to You now.  We ask that You not only heal them but also please bless them with everything You know they need most right now.  We pray that all we've asked here may be done not according to our desires but according to Your will and in Jesus' name.  Amen.

No comments: