Monday, December 3, 2007

Preparing For Christmas

 
Sorry this is so late, I've been working on it since Saturday morning but am typing one handed b/c I slammed my finger into the vault while lifting a box of nickels out - x-ray pending - those also waiting on Daily Verses I appreciate your patience as I work on catching up.  Thanks!
 
Luke 1:28-29 "The angel went to her and said, "Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you."  Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be."
 
In many ways this is the season of rejoicing, celebrating and overall having a great time...in our church the period from November 15 until Christmas Day is a time of preparing oneself for the birth, the Nativity of our Lord.  We are encouraged to fast, to spend a lot of extra time devoted to quiet time with God, to reflect on what His Son's birth truly means in our lives.  With shopping malls and superstores overflowing with busy, time-crunched consumers it is an easy thing to forget what "The Season" is truly about.  I would like to spend this month reflecting on pieces of the beloved Christmas story.
    I'd like you to imagine Mary, probably a teenaged girl, betrothed to wed Joseph and minding her own business and suddenly she is approached by the angel of the Lord!  I'd be "greatly troubled" too if a heavenly being appeared to me!  Troubled is such a great word here because it could take on several different meanings and it gives us a rather vague picture of who Mary is...but that's so we can dwell not on Mary but on the true main character of this wonderful story; Jesus.  I believe God leaves us a brief description of her because He wants us to focus on His priceless gift...  How many times at this time of year do we feel troubled?  Need to find the perfect gift, need to complete all our shopping, need to clean the house, need to plan the big celebration dinner...  Plenty more "needs" I am certain, but how much time do we focus on what we really need?  To reflect on Jesus birth and what it means for our lives?  I think we'd all feel much less troubled by the worldly "needs" if we make the Christ child our #1 need, especially as we prepare for His coming.  Please join me in praying:
 
Dear Lord, Thank You for coming to save us!  When the busyness of this time of year starts to sweep me up and I feel troubled please help me to remember it's really about You and that if I center my thoughts and dreams on You than all else will work itself out.  We praise Your holy name for the healing's You have already worked in Summer and Kayla.  We continue to beseech Your grace and healing hand in their bodies and their lives as well as Ally's.  Father we also thank You for our country's service men and women who put their own lives at risk to protect ours.  Please bless and protect them each as well as their families.  Finally Lord, I thank You for everyone who reads this, I thank You for allowing me the blessing of passing Your love along to many of my family, friends and maybe even some strangers who may be reading this on my web site.  Please bless and protect each of them as they go about their lives this week, allowing Your favor to go before them in all that they do.  In Jesus name we ask that this all may be done according to Your will.  Amen.
Have a blessed week ahead!
Love through Christ,
Niki

No comments: