Saturday, June 2, 2007

{5-28-07} What Defines Who You Are?

Matthew 12:49-50 "Pointing to his disciples, he said, "Here are my mother and my brothers. For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.""
 
I apologize for the tardiness of this week's thoughts but I hope you were all too busy enjoying your holiday weekend to notice they were missing from your inbox.  I have been thinking a lot about what I wanted to write about and then I realized that was the problem.  There I go again...trying to think!  I don't believe that God wants me to think about this, I believe He wants me to clear my mind and my heart and listen to what He wants me to type.  This happens to me a lot - I try to think about what I am going to type and come up blank...then I get my mind completely off of it and when I least expect it...BAM...it hits me almost like lightening and like it was there the whole time trying to come out if only I would remember to let go.  That is what my personal journey has been about lately...letting go.  Letting go of past hurts, letting go of expectations, letting go of my illusion of control and finally letting God work His awesome and almighty plan for my life!  I've gotten much closer in my walk with Him and gotten at least somewhat better at letting go but then this weekend I slipped back into old patterns and tried to do it on my own.  When all I want to do is to serve Him better!  So, I find myself this evening praying my way back into His arms and also hoping that this makes sense to all of you.  I believe a big part of letting go and letting God is realizing that you do not define who you are by what you have done or where you come from...in the 12th Chapter of Matthew our Lord's mother approached and when someone told Jesus she was waiting outside He replied first by asking Who is my mother..." and then He pointed at His disciples and said, "" I do not think that Jesus was trying to undermine the bonds of family here but rather He was showing us that in Christ we are all children of God.  We should all work together to do God's will here on earth.  Ultimately, our family is a blessing that we enjoy while we are here but our true family is much larger and has more love to be shared than we can even imagine.  Not everyone is blessed to have a loving earthly family...but I am coming to find that no matter where you come from, a large earthly family or a small one or none at all, no matter what your family is like or how they treat you or how you are perceived in their eyes...none of that matters because God defines who you are.  He is your Father and in His eyes you are amazing, you are one of a kind, He made you and molded you and knew your name before the world began.  He created Adam and Eve and thus all of us even knowing that it would cost Him the price of crucifying His son to save us...to save you!  I pray you feel in your heart God's presence, His love, His acceptance and approval of you, of who you are and of who you are becoming each and every day through prayer and time with Him!  I pray that we can all focus on being thankful for the good things in our families but also being thankful that God is ultimately our Father and the only one who defines who we are!!  I ask that we please continue to lift each other up in prayer, remembering Summer, Nick, Wayne, Pat, Sharleen, Meg and all who are in need of His divine healing touch.  On this Memorial Day let us remember especially our brothers and sisters in the military, armed forces, marines, air force, navy, special forces, police, firefighters, and all other service men and women.  Let us pray for their safety as they voluntarily work to keep us safe!  Let us thank our Father for each and every one of them, present and past who He has given the strength, honor and courage to stand guard and be our earthly angels in uniform.  I continue to be honored and feel truly blessed to be able to come to you each week with my thoughts.  I pray my Father and yours will bless, protect and inspire each of you and grant you His favor for a blessed and awesome week ahead!!
 
Love through Christ,
Niki

No comments: