Saturday, May 19, 2007

Race to Win!

 
I Corinthians 9:24-25  "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize?  Run in such a way as to get the prize.  Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training.  They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever."
 
For those who do not know this about my family and me, we are HUGE NASCAR Fans. Tonight is {after the Daytona 500} about as good as it gets in NASCAR!  Tonight is the All-Star race, only the best of the best are on the track and it counts for money and prestige only, no points towards the championship.  All the drives are going to race their hardest but in the end only one will come away with the big $1,000,000+ prize (and bragging rights for life).  What I think I love about NASCAR that I don't see nearly as often in most other professional sports (perhaps even rarely) is that when you see the drivers away from the track nearly all {if not all} of them are decent, family men...and most importantly to me they are Christians!  They begin each race with a prayer - what other sport can claim that anymore?  Then they sing the national anthem and we all listen as someone gives the most famous words in motor sports, "Gentlemen, Start Your Engines!"  But at the end of the day, away from the cars, away from the hype, away from the crowds & chaos, these guys know what Paul was telling the Corinthians in the above passage: that in life we "run in such a way as to get the prize..." and that prize for Christians is "a crown that will last forever" as we are all Princes and Princesses of the King of all Kings!  I believe we need to throw ourselves into everything we do in life with 100% of what we have to give, and to try our best to keep our eye on the ultimate prize of eternal life and let God's love reflect in us.  Then we can make it to the finish line knowing in our hearts and minds that though we stumbled and fell along the way we tried our best, we repented when needed and we showed love and compassion to all our fellow competitors whenever possible.  I pray today that you are able to focus on the only prize we need to win.  I pray that we put ourselves into strict training by keeping our hearts and minds focused on God and making time each day to spend with Him in prayer and in His Word.  I thank you for continuing to join me in praying for Summer's healing, thanks & praise for healing already received and asking our heavenly Father to please continue His awesome healing power in her.  I also continue to be grateful that you are joining me in prayers for strength, comfort & peace for her family, and also for the families of those in service to our country here and abroad.  Please join me in remembering to pray for our service men and women's protection & deliverance as they stand guard and fight to protect us and our country.  I ask a new prayer this morning, as with Summer I do not wish to go into great details for the privacy of these individuals and their families but may you please remember in your prayers: Nick, Wayne, Pat, Sharleen, and Meg for healing; and as always for each other as brothers and sisters, princes and princesses in Christ for peace, comfort, protection, love and favor. 
Have an awesome & blessed weekend and week ahead!
Love through Christ,
Niki
 
NOTE FOR NEXT WEEK: My family and I will be out of town for the day on Saturday, looking at houses with the hopes of buying one soon, and I am not sure whether I will be sending a message on Friday or Sunday but I will still send one.  Thanks for your patience, understanding and continued interest in my weekly thoughts!!
 

No comments: