Saturday, October 28, 2006

Weekly Thoughts ~ Week Fourteen: 10-26-2006

Psalm 28:7, “The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.” 
Psalm 75:1, "We give thanks to you, O God, we give thanks, for your Name is near; men tell of your wonderful deeds.
Psalm 107:1, "Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever."

Hello and a happy day to one and all!!

This time of year, we usually start looking ahead to the holidays, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and maybe New Years.  For years, I would only think of these holidays at this time of year.  More and more though, over the past few years, I have been thinking of them often, throughout the whole year…I love to go “window shopping” and think of who would love this or that…I then dream I had the money to be able to afford to bless them with the gift…then I will try to think of a gift that would cost less but mean just as much or maybe more to them.  I also love to give thanks to our Lord.  I have gotten myself into the habit of making Thanksgiving an everyday celebration.  I use my short commute to work in the mornings to talk with God, to thank Him for another day, for the things He blessed me with recently…when something comes across my mind throughout the day that makes me smile, or reminds me of the good things I have been blessed with in my life, I stop and say thanks to God.  Sadly, too many holidays are being short-changed these days.  The media and their fear of being “Politically Correct” and not offending everyone has led to a “Commercialization” if you will.  It saddens me, and angers me at the same time to think that the true meanings and celebrations are getting lost.  I’m sure that you’ve seen the email circulating around, and around, and around stating about a poll taken of this country to see how many people believe in God, and that the results showed a whopping 87% said yes they believe!  Well, if that number is even ballpark, then I say it is about time for the vast majority of us to stand up and say we are the ones being offended.  But, I myself am only one voice, right?  How about if we start smaller then…what if we stand up in our own homes and say that we don’t wish to lose our holidays any longer?  I think we can all do that.  Let’s try together to have a Thanksgiving this year which focuses on prayers of thanks and on God, who supplies our every need.  Let us also then focus our thoughts on being thankful more often than just the end of November.  Stretch with me if you will and picture also a Christmas centered around God and celebrating not only His son’s humble birth but also all of the wonders He gives us, this time of year and the other 364 days too.  I'm not saying that we should walk around and sing Away in a Manger or Joy to the World everyday...what I am suggesting is that we give extra attention, praise and Thanksgiving to God on these upcoming holidays and also try to keep Him at the forefront of our lives the rest of the year too.  My prayer this week is that His Spirit stays with you and guides you to choose thankfulness each day.  I also pray that He continues to allow me the great honor of your time each week as you share in my thoughts and reflections on His Word and His promises and His great power and love in our lives.   I feel truly blessed that you each continue to share your time with me!  I continue to pray that God surrounds you with His love, favor and blessings this day, this week and always. 

Have an awesome weekend and week ahead!
Love through Christ,
Niki

If you feel inspired to pass along my email, please do!  And/or if you or some one you know would enjoy receiving my weekly thoughts, please send an email to: Banklady79@aol.com

No comments: